Monday, May 25, 2009

Response to "Holocaust Doesn't Unite Germans"

Ok so I have to admit that I wasn't entirely thinking when I was writing that post "The Great Northern War" and I said that the Holocaust united the Germans. I hadn't REALLY spent the time to phrase my idea well enough and so I completely agree with Danielle when she disagrees with that sentence. So anyways, just forget I ever said that because it is completely bogus--especially because the Holocaust wasn't warfare, it was the tragic murder of millions so it wasn't really fair for me to compare the Holocaust with the Great Northern War as if both were wars. 
That aside, I still think that it is valid to say that Hitler had more public support then Peter the Great did, and while the Germans were not necessarily united as a force, Hitler had managed to gain a foundation of support in which people CHOSE to join the Nazi party (and I know that once Hitler started to demonstrated his cruelty a lot of the members of the Nazi party joined out of fear, but initially I think that there was more of genuine support of Hitler). To contrast that, Peter the Great had a foundation of support that was formed solely out of his inherited title of "tsar"-- he had in no way been chosen to lead Russia. That is essentially what I meant to say in that sentence--that Hitler's foundation of support was more genuine because, initially, people truly chose to join his party, whereas Peter the Great lacked that foundation.


No comments:

Post a Comment